- To work as a watchman (watchdog) for protection and promotion of rights and interests of tribal regions according to the fifth schedule of Constitution.
- Schemes / Policy formulation and implementation of programs for overall development of scheduled tribes.
- To act as a nodal agency to determine priorities for development of scheduled tribes and tribal majority areas, to implement programs of tribal sub plans and to provide the budget to various departments, and monitoring.
- Implementation of various programs for educational / social and economic regeneration of scheduled tribes.
- To check doubtful scheduled tribe certificates.
- Policy formulation and scheme implementation for the development of specific backward tribal groups.
- Research, survey and evaluation in respect of tribal and scheduled castes.
- Training to class two and class three executive officers of various departments, in tribal sub plan region.
- Planning and implementation of schemes for development of specific backward tribal groups.
- Planning and monitoring of schemes operated with special central assistance.
- Approval and monitoring of centrally sponsored projects under Article -275 (1) of the constitution.
- Development of technical and qualitative education in tribal.
- Tribal's social security and protection from exploitation.
- Implementation of departmental schemes of academic, social and economic regeneration of tribals.
- Coordination with other development departments as a nodal department in respect of amount of tribal sub plan.
- Conservation of tribal interests.